6 Alternatives to PayPal for Payments Abroad
While you can use PayPal to send an international payment, it pays to check out a range of providers to get the best service for your needs. Other providers may have a broader range of payment delivery options, cheaper fees or better exchange rates - so depending on what’s important to you, you may find a better solution out there.
Remitly has a range of payment delivery options which makes it a flexible choice. If you need a payment to arrive as quickly as possible you can choose to have your recipient pick up the money in local currency at an agent near to them. You can also have the payment deposited in a bank or mobile money account - or delivered to your recipient’s home in some locations.
- Payment delivery options include cash collection or delivery, bank or mobile money account deposits
- Cash payments can be available very quickly
- Strong security and fraud prevention measures to keep your money safe
Learn more about Remitly
Wise payments are deposited directly into your recipient’s bank account for convenience. You’ll only pay a low, transparent fee, and you’ll get currency exchange which uses the mid-market exchange rate. You can also open a multi currency account with Wise to hold and manage dozens of currencies in the same place.
- Send payments all over the world with the real mid-market exchange rate and no hidden fees
- Open an account to hold 50+ currencies, receive international payments for free and spend using a linked debit card
- Customer support in a range of languages, with high grade security for payments and accounts
Learn more about Wise Money Transfers
XE is a giant of currency exchange. From the foreign exchange data and opinion available over on XE.com to the USD115 billion moved annually - it’s a big name. As you’d expect you can send money almost anywhere in the world with XE money transfer, and your money is covered by enterprise grade security to keep it safe.
- Send payments in 139 currencies to over 220 countries and territories
- Make your transfers online and in the XE app - you can also get the latest currency news while you’re there
- Payments are delivered into your recipient’s bank account directly
Learn more about XE
OFX if you want to make a payment to be deposited in your recipient’s bank account - and you’ll fund it by bank transfer - OXF is another option. Create an account and then model your payment to get a quote covering fees and exchange rates. You can then pay by bank transfer or ACH and track your transfer as it makes its way to your recipient’s account.
- Send in 50+ currencies, to 190 countries
- Arrange your payments online or using the OFX app for convenience - you can even lock down the rate for future payments
- Get customer support 24/7 from a trusted and regulated provider
Learn more about OFX
WorldRemit depending on where you’re sending money to, you could be able to use WorldRemit to send cash for collection, payments to bank or mobile money accounts, or even to buy airtime top up for your recipient. Arrange your payments using the WorldRemit app for the most convenient experience.
- Broad range of payment delivery methods, including cash for local collection through the network of WorldRemit agents
- Set up payments online or using the app for on the go transfers
- Send to over 130 countries all from your WorldRemit account
Learn more about WorldRemit
Revolut accounts can be used to hold, convert and send multiple currencies, including some selected cryptocurrencies. You can also access easy ways to manage your money and hit financial goals, and fee-paid accounts which have features which will suit more frequent users.
- Exchange, send and receive 28 currencies, and get withdrawals from a network of 55,000 surcharge free ATMs
- Choose a basic account for free, or trade up for a fee paid option with more features and perks
- Fee paid accounts have higher limits and can even come with higher interest rates, airport lounge passes and travel insurance
PayPal is a big player in everything e-commerce, and it’s also easy to use your account to send quick payments to friends, family and businesses. Many of PayPal’s main features are free - but it is important to check the costs of any service before you use it. International transactions which involve currency conversion in particular can include a range of fees you’ll want to know about in advance.
Use our guide as a reference to understand the basics about PayPal international fees, and compare the costs against some of the alternative providers available, to make sure you get a good deal.
Your currency knowledge centre
How does PayPal Work? Your Full Guide here
This guide runs through how PayPal works, particularly when you need to send money to someone overseas. It also covers some pros and cons of using PayPal for international payments.
Should You Use Wise (formerly known as TransferWise) to Wire Money Overseas?
Our biggest, most comprehensive look at one of the most popular money transfer companies in the world. All the information you need to make the right decision.
International Money Transfer Comparison and Reviews
Doing an international money transfer with your bank can cost you a lot more than its worth. By the end of this article, you'll find out how to transfer funds internationally without paying too much.