CashApp international transfer and alternatives
CashApp offers easy ways to send payments using just a phone number or $Cashtag, so you can get money to friends, family, businesses and organizations without needing to get hold of the recipient’s full banking details.
However, when it comes to international transfers, CashApp is pretty limited. In fact, you can only use CashApp to send money overseas if you want to transfer to another CasahApp user in the UK. No other international payments are supported.
The good news is that you have options. This guide explores popular alternatives, including Wise, OFX, WorldRemit and PayPal, so you can find the right service for your payment, based on fees, rates, convenience and speed.
- Wise – fast payments to 70+ countries in 50+ currencies
- OFX – international transfers you can arrange online, in app and by phone
- WorldRemit – good for cash collection payments
- PayPal – huge user base, supported in almost every country around the world
Does CashApp work internationally?
CashApp accounts can only be opened and used for payments in the US and in the UK. You’ll need to have a local phone number in one of these countries when you register your account – and international transfers can only be made between CashApp accounts based in either the UK or the US.
Can you send money internationally with CashApp?
CashApp can only be used for international transfers to other CashApp accounts in the UK. No other countries are supported by CashApp at the time of writing – so no other international payments are available.
Comparing CashApp Alternatives on International Transfers
Unless you happen to be sending money to someone in the UK who also has a CashApp account, CashApp may not work for your international payment. Instead, you’ll need to pick an alternative online or digital provider to move your money where you need it to go.
To find the best CashApp alternative for your specific payment let’s compare – Wise, OFX, WorldRemit, and PayPal. We’ll review based on each provider’s speed, transparency, ease of use and price. There’s more detail coming up later to help you decide which might suit your specific needs best.
|Fees & Exchange Rates||Low transfer fees and the mid-market exchange rate||No transfer fee, exchange rates include a small markup||Fees vary by destination and payment type, exchange rates include a markup||5% transfer fee (0.99 USD – 4.99 USD) + 4% currency conversion fee|
|International transfer speed||Over 50% of payments are instant|
90%+ of payments arrive in 24 hours
|Most payments arrive in 1 – 2 days||Cash collection and mobile money payments may be instant|
Deposits to bank accounts may be instant or take a day or 2 to arrive
|Payments are deposited instantly to PayPal accounts – it may take a day or two to withdraw to a bank account after this|
|Countries you can send money to||70+ countries, 50+ currencies||170 countries, 50+ currencies||130+ countries||Global coverage|
|Transfer limits||Limits vary by country, but are typically set at the equivalent of 1 million GBP||Often no upper limit applies||Limits vary by country||10,000 USD – 60,000 USD for verified accounts|
|Convenience||Send payments online or in app|
Support available in app and online
Multi-lingual support available
|Send payments by phone, online or in app|
Support available by phone, in app and online
Support primarily available in English
|Send payments online or in app|
Support available in app and online, plus phone support if you have a transfer already in progress
Multi-lingual support available
|Send payments online or in app|
Support available in app and online. Phone support may be available if you have an account registered
Multi-lingual support available
There’s no single best CashApp alternative for international transfers. The right one for you may vary based on where you’re sending money to and how you want it to be collected.
Wise is a strong pick if you’re sending a payment directly to a bank account, as you’ll get the mid-market rate – and more than 50% of payments are instant, with almost all arriving in 24 hours.
On the other hand, if you need to get money quickly to someone without access to a bank account, WorldRemit may be best for you, with a strong agent network which can make it easy to set up a cash collection payment.
Here’s a rundown of the providers we’ve picked out, and why you might like them as a CashApp alternative.
- Wise Review – if Wise supports the country you’re sending to, and you want your payment deposited in a bank account, it’s often the cheapest provider, with transparent fees that are easy to compare
- OFX Review – there’s usually no limit to how much you can send with OFX transfers, and you’ll always be able to talk through your payment requirement and options on the phone if you’d like to
- WorldRemit Review – Set up your payment online for convenience, and have it collected in the destination country in cash – perfect if your recipient can’t get to a bank account or ATM easily
- PayPal Review – PayPal transfers can be made to other PayPal customers around the world, and depending on how you pay may arrive instantly
Keep reading to learn more about each of our CashApp alternatives.
If you’re looking for a fast overseas payment to a bank account, Wise might be the CashApp alternative for you.
Wise offers transfers to 70+ countries, in 50+ currencies, and is trusted by 13+ million individuals and businesses around the world.
Wise currency conversion uses the midmarket exchange rate, with low, transparent fees you can check and compare before you confirm your transfer.
- Open your account online or in the Wise app, and have transfers delivered direct to bank accounts for convenience
- Wise multi-currency accounts available to hold and exchange 50+ currencies, with linked Wise debit card
- Low cost transfers which use the mid-market exchange rate
- More than 50% of transfers arrive instantly, and 90% are deposited in 24 hours
Pros and Cons of Using Wise
- Wise fees: Often one of the cheapest payment options
- Transparent fee structure: Costs are visible before you make your payment, so you can compare fees
- Midmarket exchange rate: No exchange rate markups
- No cash pay out option
- Fees vary by destination
If you need to send a larger value payment, and prefer to talk through your options over the phone, OFX might be the answer for you.
Send money in 50+ currencies, online, in-app or by phone, with no transfer fee for most payments. Instead you just pay a low currency exchange markup with OFX exchange rate, which can beat the banks. OFX also offers business customers multi-currency account options which can be used to pay and get paid in foreign currencies.
- Personal phone service through a currency exchange broker, 24/7
- Currency risk management products available, as well as one off and recurring transfers
- High value payments available, in 50+ currencies
- No transfer fee for most transactions – just a small exchange rate markup
Pros and Cons of Using OFX
- Talk through your transaction with a broker – great for peace of mind if you’re sending a high value payment
- Broad range of countries and currencies supported
- Personal and business services available – with multi-currency accounts for business customers and online sellers
- Variable exchange rate markups apply
- Payments may take a day or two to arrive, depending on destination
WorldRemit is a popular payment service which lets you set up your transfer online or via the WorldRemit app, and have it delivered to a bank or mobile money account, for collection in cash in the destination country, or even as an airtime top up.
If you’re sending money to someone who doesn’t have easy access to a bank account or ATM, WorldRemit can be a solid option, with transfers to 130+ countries, often with fast delivery times.
- Pay for your transfer by card, and it can often be collected in cash pretty much instantly
- Impressive coverage, offering transfers to 130+ countries
- Pay by bank deposit, credit or debit card
- Easy online and in-app payment options, with a good range of payout options
Pros and Cons of Using WorldRemit
- Good for payments on popular remittance routes, with cash collection available
- Transfers are usually fast and often instant
- Relatively low fees and frequent promotional offers for new customers
- Service availability varies by destination
- Exchange rate markups may apply, which push up overall costs
PayPal international transfers can be sent to other PayPal users around the world, in a range of currencies. The recipient can then hold their balance in their PayPal account, to spend later, or withdraw to a bank account.
One of the biggest benefits of PayPal is the huge user base, covering millions of accounts across most of the globe – chances are that your recipient has an account already, or can set one up quickly if they don’t.
- Pay someone with just their email – no need for bank details
- PayPal operates across most countries, and accounts are free to set up
- Some PayPal transfers are instant – pay by card or with a PayPal balance for the fastest delivery times
- Payments supported in a range of currencies
Pros and Cons of Using PayPal
- Easy, fast payments
- Familiar platform, with a huge user base around the world
- Many transfers land in the recipient’s PayPal account instantly
- PayPal’s international fees are high, and include an exchange rate markup
- Transfers are deposited into PayPal accounts rather than bank accounts
Conclusion: Can you use cash app internationally?
CashApp is very handy for fast transfers to your friends in the US or the UK. However, if you need to send money to someone in a different country you’ll need another solution.
Many online and in-app providers offer fast, secure and convenient international payments in a broad range of countries – with services that can be every bit as intuitive and easy to use as CashApp. You might even find you can save money if you shop around and find the best provider for your needs.
The right CashApp alternative for you will depend on your specific payment – Wise could be a hit if you want a low cost payment deposited into a bank account, while WorldRemit may be a winner for transfers to be collected in cash, for example. Use this guide to kickstart your research and make sure you get the best deal out there.
CashApp International Transfer FAQs
Can you CashApp someone in another country?
CashApp supports payments to other CashApp accounts in the US or UK. No other international services are available – instead, look at alternatives like Wise, OFX and WorldRemit to make your overseas payments.
Can you use CashApp internationally?
To set up a CashApp account you’ll need to be in the US or UK, with a local phone number. The service isn’t available to residents in other countries.
How do I enable international transactions on Cash App?
Cash App doesn’t work internationally. Although, you can use CashApp to send money to other users in the US or UK. You can explore some alternatives that does work internationally, such as Wise and Revolut.
Does CashApp convert currency?
CashApp can only be used to convert from US dollars to British pounds, or vice versa. Other currencies are not supported.
Does CashApp work in Europe?
CashApp only works in the US and UK, for people with local phone numbers in either country. If you or your recipient are in a different country, you’ll need a different solution like Wise, OFX or WorldRemit.